Old 05-25-21, 10:27 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I run a waxed chain year-round but I ride indoors during rain

I'll usually buy 2 or 3 chains at once so I can degrease them all together. Then I wax them and I can rotate them through, re-dipping each every maybe 200-400 miles or so depending on how noisy they get. I use the same pot of wax for probably 7-8 re-dips, or until it starts to look gross. The most annoying part is if you have a big ride and forget you have to re-dip since it takes like 1-2 hours to warm up the pot. But now that I have a smart power strip, I can just set a timer for an hour before I wake up to turn it on, leave the chain in there, and it's ready to wipe down and install by the time I'm kitted up.

I also do it more for the cleanliness compared to grease, it's nice to not have to worry about accidentally touching your chain and getting black smudges on everything you own. Knowing it's a little more efficient is just a bonus. The chains also seem to last a bit longer, it takes a while before my wear gauge fits. I haven't kept great tabs but if I had to guess, 4000-5000 miles?