Old 02-13-22, 10:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

That is an odd two layer construction on the nose, but probably with the concept of not putting a hard lump at the nose end of the saddle. That is a unique hanging cradle design.
There is a small plate (not carbon) screwed into the lower portion of the anchor; the anchor separated from the shell due to the hit. When the screws are removed, the plate comes off and allows you to remove the rails from the saddle. It's actually a pretty interesting design, and I think it'll allow me to affect a simple repair. Since the lower portion seems to only have been fixed in place by a single carbon layer, I think a liberal application of epoxy might just lock the anchor back in enough to provide continued support. Heck, it only broke because I was firmly planted too far forward on the saddle when I hit really hard - and I normally "ride light".

For additional info, once home I stuck the anchor back into the saddle and it fits really tightly on it's own - I really had to yank to pull it back out. Add some industrial-strength epoxy when re-fitting and I'm betting it will last for many more years. However, I'll not be adding epoxy to the three points where the rail connects to the shell - agreed, it should "float" a bit to relieve stress.

Would like to add some carbon fabric, but don't know where to find that stuff.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude: