Old 01-14-23, 03:18 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I have been repairing bikes and donating them to a homeless organization. Recently a person donated 2 matching bikes to me to refurbish and re-donate. Both bikes are Schwinn World Sport 10 speeds. I have also received a donation from a bike shop of 2 straight handlebars. I think these bikes would be more functional for the folks who receive them without the drop bars. I have included a picture for my questions.
That looks mint, probably collectable - I'd be inclined to try to sell the bikes and put the proceeds towards more suitable bikes for your clients.
Originally Posted by louky
Can I get away with leaving these friction shifters in place? After I change the bars, can I just use some regular inexpensive brake levers like would be on a MTB? Since these bikes are 2 x 5's is there an option for using those combination brake and shifter sets?
V brake levers won't work properly with old caliper brakes, you'd need to find cantilever brake levers also that will work with non-indexed gears. Road and MTB handlebars are different diameters so you'll need to check the stem clamp and grip/lever area for a match.
Likes For grumpus: