View Single Post
Old 05-02-23, 09:34 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Two good possibilities:

Hub Drive - Aventon Aventure.2: ($1900) https://www.aventon.com/products/ave...42255489466563

It's a fat tire eBike, so it's heavy, but those tires will make quick work of any trails and would also be fine on hard packed sand. It's got a rack & fenders, so commute-friendly. They advertise "up to 60 miles" on a charge, which means 30 miles going pretty fast or maybe 45 if you're more reasonable and do more of the work yourself. It has a torque sensor, so it'll feel natural even though it's got the hub motor. (most hub motor bikes now have a cadence sensor, which takes off to your set speed when it senses that you're pedaling) The sensation is that it takes away a lot of the weight. Price increases in about a week. I think as long as you're not trying to go 20+ mph up hills this will provide plenty of power.

Aventon is one of the earlier internet sellers of eBikes. I have one (Level.2 commuter) and the quality is good. I bought it at a local Indian motorcycle dealer. (they started carrying eBikes when they couldn't get motorcycles to sell during COVID, and the eBike section of the shop is growing while the motorcycle section is shrinking) Best Buy is now carrying Aventon online now; I don't think they're in stores.

Mid Drive - Giant Explore E+ 2 GTS ($2900) https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/ex...us-2-gts-28mph
This one's mid drive, which uses the bike's gearing (rather than a hub motor's). It'll go through chains & sprockets faster, but this is considered the higher-end option. For serious hills, this is probably The Choice. The tires are narrower and running higher pressure, so it'll be more energy efficient, but won't handle loose surfaces as well as the Aventure.

Giant, I'm sure you know about.

Last edited by Smaug1; 05-02-23 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Giant was well within budget; removed that sentence.