View Single Post
Old 06-06-23, 03:35 PM
billmckay

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro(2003); 1994 Cannondale R 800

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I concur with the person who says going cheap may not be a bad idea. I rode the turbo vado sl 4.0 and liked it a lot; they are now $3000. Recently road a Trek Domane 5+ AL; a 29 or so pound pedal assist bike which is pretty amazing for the price (3500). Instead bought a velotric Thunder 1 ST which is a hybrid style 36 pound aluminum frame bike with a smallish battery, 8 speed shimano altus (which to my amazement shifts almost as good as the 105 on my Canyon road bike) and a torque measuring rear hub drive. They claim 52 miles on a charge. Best I have done is 40 miles, but that thing really flies on the eco setting (there are five settings).

Anyway, it is not real fancy but it gets the job done well; it is reasonably comfortable for an aluminum bike with no carbon fork. 700/40 tires help a lot. They have a decent warranty. I was impressed with how smooth power is fed to the motor. I live in SW Florida, so no hills but lots of wind. In eco setting (lowest assist) I can comfortably pedal at 16+ mph into the wind; 19-21 with the wind at my back.

It is not a specialized Turbo vado SL, but then the price is $1700 less than the $3000 on sale price of the specialized.

It is a bit bit. See the attached photo. The black bike behind it is my canyon endurace AL7, size 52 CM.