Old 07-28-09, 01:59 PM
Fred Matthews

Bikes: 2010 58cm Royal Windsor Triathlon bike - it is alright for now but I certainly hope to upgrade in the next few years.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first tri last year using a long Speedo swimsuit - worked fine except I really hurt in the important section by the midway point of the bike. This year I bought trishorts and it made a world of difference.

Some races have wooden ground racks instead of the kind where you hang your bike. With these it is best to put your rear wheel in the rack and then place all of your gear to one side or the other. As a general rule you should follow along with those that have already set-up. If they are setting their gear on the left -then go left. If right the go right. This keeps the area uncluttered and allows you to be certain that your gear won't be messed with.

I highly recommend practicing with different drinks. Some people can do Gator/Powerade - I can't. I use Heed and have never had any problems with it. I also use Hammer gels and Sport Legs capsules. The gels are for fuel and the capsules help with the lactate acid build up in your legs. There are plenty of other choices out there and I would recommend testing them out. Many products come in sample sizes. I'd go that route before throwing down a bunch of money on something you don't like.

If you have a few months or even a few weeks until your tri, find a training program to help you along. There are lots of free ones out there on-line for every distance and for different lengths of time - 8, 10, 16, 20 weeks. Having a set routine can be very beneficial for the new triathlete since trying to train in three different events can be rather overwhelming. Also be sure to work on your core muscles. This will help you in all three aspects of the event.

Last but not least is the transition - practice it. Set up a transition area in your driveway and when you get in from your bike ride transition to the run (T2). If your gym will let you, set up a transition area there and work on the swim to bike transition (T1).

When you have done all that - read. Read stuff on here and other sites. Subscibe to magazines. There is lots of good advice out there and plenty of people willing to lend it.