View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 07:48 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This has been an interesting thread, so I went over to zwift.com for a look. I was a bit put off by the paucity of information there about the platform. There was stuff to buy, but no information. Where does one go to learn about how the platform works, what can be connected to what and so forth. You know, the theory and practice of it. Power meters? Display and OS requirements? Communication? You know, what normal tech websites feature. I'll have a spare windows machine and monitor pretty soon and my resistance rollers would be fun with a hub PM, etc. OTOH I'm sure as heck not going to buy a fancy trainer plus all the rest of that stuff when I've been having good fun on those rollers these past 20 years.
zwiftinsider.com has some useful information. You're right, the main website isn't very good. If you have a PM, that's the main thing. Plus, you need a way for it to communicate with your PC. This can be done two ways:
ant+ - probably have to buy a USB receiver for your PC so you can get the signal. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/PerfPRO-CycleO...B+dongle&psc=1

bluetooth - use your smartphone as the "middleman" with the zwift companion app. Your phone has to be on the same network as the PC.

For the computer itself, it doesn't have to be particularly powerful. I've run Zwift on a first generation Surface Pro without issues.