Old 01-13-22, 11:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
This is all snobbish bullpoop. Sounds like some shallow, stoopid, self empowering pigmy idea for saving the world. You need to see the people in this world who’s mother and father work their asses off and struggle to provide shelter, food and schooling for their kids. Do you think they would scrape up a couple of grand to buy their kid a real” bike or maybe if they did you could fault them for not providing better clothing, music lessons and or a huge college fund. Must have been nice to grow up a silver spooner.Real people are struggling out there and this BS doesnt help.
I know Mac Liman and she isn’t not a “ shallow, stoopid, self empower[ed]” person. She has spent her life working at nonprofits serving marginalized communities. The co-op she works at is as bare bones as you can get. We…as I am a long term volunteer there…fix and give away hundreds of bikes per year to people in need. The bikes are refurbished by volunteers and given to adults and children free of charge. We do have a retail side where the higher end donations are refurbished and sold to keep the doors open but even those bikes are generally underpriced for what they are.

We do get hundreds of bikes in donations per year and we have to throw out (recycle, actually), hundreds because they just aren’t safe to fix. The only way to make a modern Big Box store bike safe is to replace everything including the frame. We won’t give away a bike that is a danger to the rider and there is simply no way to make these kinds of bikes safe.

Finally, we also run an open shop where we help people keep their bikes running. We do not exclude anyone, provide used parts at reasonable prices (or for free if people can’t afford them), and will work on anything that rolls through the door. I’ve spent lots of hours working on these horrible bikes because that’s all the person has. I try to make them better and more durable than they came into the shop.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!