Old 09-21-21, 01:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,917 Times in 3,044 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I am also investigating tubeless and have seen the youtube videos of trying to seat the tire with/without compressor. But what about the other question - can you re-seat the tubeless tire out in the field without the possibility of needing a compressor? Or does adding a tube remove that issue?
IME tubeless tyres don't unseat when you get a flat unless you try to ride with the flat. At the weekend I ran over a sharp piece of metal in the road on a high speed descent and it put a large hole straight through my rear tyre. It was way too big for the sealant to deal with, but it didn't go flat instantly. Instead it made a loud squealing noise like when you release air from a party balloon and there was comfortably enough time to:-

1. Stop by the roadside
2. Locate the hole (easy enough with fluorescent pink Muc-off sealant oozing out!)
3. Put my thumb over the hole to temporarily seal it
4. Take out my Dynaplug Racer repair tool with my other hand (always keep this to hand in a jersey pocket)
5. Fire in a Dynaplug (actually needed 2 in this case to fill the extra large hole)
6. Spin the wheel by hand to encourage sealant to seal the plug
7. Top up lost air pressure (It had lost about half its pressure by that point)

Then just ride on as if nothing happened. Total stop time, around 2 minutes (most of that time pumping the tyre back up to pressure)

This is about as bad as it gets too. In fact it's the first time I've had to actually stop on the road in 2 years of using tubeless road tyres. The only reason I know exactly what to do in this scenario is from over 15 years of mtb tubeless experience. Even then it's a pretty rare occurrence and I have never ever had to resort to fitting a tube in all these years. But I do carry one on long rides just in case.

But be warned! Some other people just seem to get into all sorts of **** trying to deal with tubeless flats!

Last edited by PeteHski; 09-21-21 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For PeteHski: