View Single Post
Old 07-04-17, 03:11 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 886 Posts
Spent part of the 4th helping my son John install a Copenhagen Wheel on his Cross Check. The installation was quite straight-forward; while I was prepared to swap in a new chain, adjust rear derailleur limit screws, etc., none of that was necessary, at least in this case. Remove the old wheel, pop in the new wheel, do a little voodoo securing the Torque Arm to the chainstay, and done. Except for some remedial fooling with the horizontal dropouts on the Cross Check, but we can't blame the kids at MIT for that.

After the initial wrenching, John took it for several progressively quicker turns around the block, checking out ECO, STANDARD, TURBO, and ZOMG (just kidding) modes.

After that initial smoke test (it does contain Li-Ion batteries, after all), I got on the Ebisu and we rode out to Depot Park and back. This was really intended to test the suitability of this booster on the crowded Minuteman: could he ride it under those circumstances without resembling a body part, fair question for a vehicle he intends to commute on. Bike, rider, and technology passed with flying colors.

I gave it a try on the way to Bedford, and was pleased at how precisely responsive to pedal impulse input the motor was; it reminded me of riding a Swiss Flyer s-pedelec ("s" for "schnell") up an Alp, some years back.

At the end of the 20-mile ride, he had a bit more juice in reserve than he had expected, a good sign.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-19-19 at 07:39 AM.