Thread: Group Advice
View Single Post
Old 01-07-21, 07:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I know there are cranks available but long cage rear derailleurs and shifters for a triple are gone. Shimano makes Tiagra, SRAM and Campagnolo have abandoned it. Plus Shimano front derailleurs seem to work best with a 53T big ring. Their MTB fronts are not compatible with road shifters. I am not interested in barcons for this build. Sadly I seem to be SOL.
When I built up my rando bike five years ago, I was not sure what to use for a front shifter. As a temporary measure, I used a vintage friction downtube shifter, but now five years later that temporary measure is starting to look very permanent. They work with all bottom pull derailleurs.

Regarding long cage rear derailleurs, there are tons of used ones. I like the look of the 1990s vintage XT rear derailleurs, have them on several bikes plus a few spares on the shelf. Pick something that looks nice, check to see what the cable pull ratio is on it and try it if the math looks good.
Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility ? Art's SLO Cyclery

Jtek adapters can be used to change cable pull ratios if you are trying to mix and match.