View Single Post
Old 06-04-21, 12:46 AM
tls1210

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorter leg and lack or ROM

Trying to make this as short as possible (no pun intended, not referring to my right leg, lol!)... I had a sports injury at 15 yo that left my right leg shorter (Femur healed at an angle) and desperately needing a knee replacement, fast forward 32 or so years, I got my knee replacement. It totally changed my life! I became active again. One of the activities that got me through my TKR was Spin classes. I fell in love with biking! I hadn't ridden since I was a teenager. Since I fell in love with spinning, I had wanted to get back on a regular bike. I, finally, took the plunge and bought an entry level mtb, until I see if biking is for me, then I will get a better bike. While I am loving biking some of the trails, near me, I am frustrated with my ROM. I have been able to raise my seat in my spin classes, but, on my mtb, simply raising my seat doesn't seem to be the answer. No matter how high my seat is, my right leg is slipping off of the pedal due to the shortness and lack of rom. Plus, the raised seat is putting a lot of stress on my hand since a lot of my weight is pushing forward onto my hands/handle bar. I've read,in some post, about crank shorteners, wondering if they will help or hinder me. I've thought about putting one of the old pedals, from my spin bike on my mtb - they have the basket/cage- to keep my foot from slipping off of the pedal. I have even considered using clip-less pedals such as the ones I have on my spin bike. But, with the seat being so high, on my mtb, I struggle to touch the ground with my feet and worry if I'm clipped in, I won't get my foot unclipped and on the ground before I would fall. I am really loving biking and I really want to keep at it, but I am becoming very frustrated. Also, with my seat so high and all my weight pushing forward onto my hands, I'm finding it difficult to steer, so. I have to find a solution if I want to keep biking. Can anyone off some suggestions? Thank you, in advance!