Old 12-10-21, 11:00 AM
Morimorimori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
PBP (1200km) ultra-marathon - can I afford to sleep 8h at night?

Hi.
As the next PBP is just a year ahead (2023), I was thinking about trying my first ultra-marathon using this opportunity. One thing still may become a blocker. If I'll decide to try it, I'll have to have a mandatory all-night sleep at least about 8h long (I have some health conditions I need to be wary about, and riding 1200km in 90h is stressful for my heart enough, on its own; riding without proper sleep may end up badly, in such case).

Factoring in my target speed (20-23kph on average, taking into account it's quite a hilly route, I reach 25-28 on average in plains, in endurance pulse zone), my calculations show it's doable in 90h - assuming I'll be starting about 20:00 at the first day, and will ride this one night without a sleep, but next 2 nights will have a proper 8h long sleep.

But I can't understand the restrictions placed by the event's rules, they seem to imply you must honor control points' closure times as well - and those are quite strict. I believe if I'll sleep all night, I won't be able to reach the next CP in time.

So the question is whether or not I have to strictly follow each CP's closing time? Can I, for example, just stop at one of them for the whole night, even if this means I'll be late to all the next CPs since that moment - as long as I'll be able to reach the finish within 90h?

Last edited by Morimorimori; 12-10-21 at 11:03 AM.