Old 09-15-20, 04:12 AM
Stroudy 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
Your main problem I believe is the front derailleur. The Shimano FD-5504 was designed for
  • 9 speed drive trains (should work fine with 10 speed because spacing and width of chainrings [not cogs] are essentially the same - sure others will say that you will die if you don't adhere strictly to spec)
  • Shimano road shift levers (wont work with MTB shifters)
  • 52-42-30 front chain ring set. (road not MTB sizing)

Looking at the inner cage plate, you will notice that it is very large (about twice the height of a FD designed for a double) and is shaped, not flat. This shaping is designed to work with indexed shifters and helps lift the chain to the next ring. If you pair it with "non-spec" sized chainrings, this shaping can actually degrade the shifting. Also, because you are using smaller rings than designed, the FD has to be set higher than normal; often so the "bottom" of the cage misses the chainstay, I recommend that if you are going to use "MTB sized" chainrings, then it is better to use a front derailleur designed for a double crankset. Jan Heinne does a better job explaining this; see https://www.renehersecycles.com/trou...h-sti-triples/

I had this very problem with an Ultegra triple FD-6503 shifting non-spec sized triple chanrings. Changed to the double Ultegra FD-6500 and it works much better.
Thanks! Did you have to abandon the indexing for that to work. That seems to be what the article says.

The other thing I'm going to try is perhaps placing some shims in the cage to match the nexave FD I took off. AND... I may try an angle shim so that the cage tail sits closer to the chainring