Old 06-28-21, 07:37 AM
MaximRecoil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
MaximRecoil .
This all started when you made the statement that you cannot get the same workout on a light bike as you do on a heavier bike.
You can't. Anything you do to try to 'equalize the workouts you get on unequal weight bikes' will be an approximation at best, and the greater the difference the weight is, the further from truly equal the approximation will be. For example, what's your proposal for trying to equalize the workouts between a 15-pound bike and a 100-pound bike loaded with 200 pounds of cargo?

Keep in mind, your original statement was about "workouts", not "work".
No, my original statement was about both. I said, "You can achieve the same amount of work on any weight bike, but that doesn't mean the 'workout' is the same."

Discussing the quality of workouts without discussing effort is a pretty weird thing to do, almost as weird as discussing the work involved in propelling a bicycle without including the weight of the rider.
I haven't discussed the quality of the workout, I've discussed the effect of the workout.

By the way, if you don't think your refusal to define "significant difference" isn't a tell, you really have no business trying to argue logic.
Again, it isn't relevant to the point, given that the point isn't about significance; the point is simply that there's a difference.

Originally Posted by UniChris
Repeating your mistake right after it was explained won't make it right.
It wasn't a mistake, and as I already pointed out, I said, "'Work' is just force multiplied by displacement," in post #360, which was before your attemped "explanation". It is also commonly stated as "weight", which I also already pointed out. For example:

7. D The work the person does to climb the stairs is force (weight) times distance. Power is the work done divided by the time during which the work is done.
As for your attempted "explanation", it isn't even correct. You said, "Force only equals weight if you're carrying your bike up a ladder." In reality, force always equals weight with regard to work in a gravity environment, though in some cases you would need to add, e.g., a gear-reduction or overdrive ratio into the calculation.

Force, NOT weight. Mixing them up is the start of countless comical errors.
Since it's not an error at all, your non sequitur is dismissed.

Except that the body is also a machine
That's not an exception. As I said, using a machine to gain a mechanical advantage results in less effort but more work. You claimed that was "dubious". It isn't dubious, it's a fact.