View Single Post
Old 05-08-22, 01:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
So my analysis paralysis is compounded by the lack of supply. I travel for work and have the opportunity to pop in many shops throughout the Midwest. Would love to compare the ride of three different geometry’s but that doesn’t look like that will happen.

My question is if there’s a huge riding/comfort difference between Endurance, Touring and Gravel? Not so much which brand or model, but maybe which geometry I should focus my searches on.

About me, I’m 54 6’1 205 and essentially just got back into cycling last year and purchased a trek DS2. Loving the cycling again, but not sure about the sluggish feel of the bike. I foresee my riding to be about 40% paved 40% crushed limestone and 20% gravel (side/township roads). While I don’t have a budget, would like to keep it under $2k perhaps $2500 tops. Don’t have a real brand preference, but do want to buy from a LBS and would prefer to shy away from entry level group sets and components.

My plan is to be able to participate in some longer rides such as Ragbrai, do some LIGHT CC touring/Bikepacking (not single track). More importantly feel good on the ride for 50+ miles in a day.

I get it, it’s difficult to give advice like this on the interweb, but hey that’s why Al invented it isn’t it? I’m also prepared for the scolding and admonishment of the “how dare you ask this question crowd”…..but I got thick skin, so have at it. Lol
Since you have done the analysis paralysis, looking at a 2021 DS2 (large) geometry, you basically have a 71*, (Offset-38, Trail 82), an 1100 wheelbase, 460 chainstays, and an enormous stack of 616. My question is what does your current bike do well, other than hold a line really good?

You are probably already running 40mm+ tires with 5 lbs of suspension fork; which most likely is contributing to the sluggish feeling along with a lot of trail.

But the comfort part is a little concerning. Other than limited hand positions, and riding into the wind in an upright posture, are there other comfort issues?

I'm no geometry wizard, but the gravel suggestions seem like sound advice to be able to give you a more responsive bike and still be comfortable enough with wider tires. The only concern is the over 30 years of not riding drop bars. That is a long time and the lack of flexibility for some people is a show stopper. You might be able to try a flip flop stem on your current DS2 and drop your flat bar to see how you hold up before making the investment. The nice thing about modern drop bar setup is that they stretch you out some but they tend to not be quite as low. Bar height is more a result of stack.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 05-08-22 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO: