Old 05-08-22, 02:12 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Since you have done the analysis paralysis, looking at a 2021 DS2 (large) geometry, you basically have a 71*, (Offset-38, Trail 82), an 1100 wheelbase, 460 chainstays, and an enormous stack of 616. My question is what does your current bike do well, other than hold a line really good?

You are probably already running 40mm+ tires with 5 lbs of suspension fork; which most likely is contributing to the sluggish feeling along with a lot of trail.

But the comfort part is a little concerning. Other than limited hand positions, and riding into the wind in an upright posture, are there other comfort issues?

I'm no geometry wizard, but the gravel suggestions seem like sound advice to be able to give you a more responsive bike and still be comfortable enough with wider tires. The only concern is the over 30 years of not riding drop bars. That is a long time and the lack of flexibility for some people is a show stopper. You might be able to try a flip flop stem on your current DS2 and drop your flat bar to see how you hold up before making the investment. The nice thing about modern drop bar setup is that they stretch you out some but they tend to not be quite as low. Bar height is more a result of stack.

John
great points, but I’m not 100% confident I could answer “what it does well” due to my lack of riding, if that makes sense. Just got back from a 21 mile ride, and pretty much feel great. I do have very slight hand numbness, but that improved greatly since I upgraded grips and put bar ends on my flat bars. Measured my sit bones and upgraded o a selle SMP saddle, so no issues there after 21 miles. Definitely see the point of flexibility as a concern for going back to drop bars, but could the trade off of the heavier bike and non needed suspension absorbing extra energy I have to make the trade off acceptable.

I should also have indicated I live in the driftless part of Wisconsin so every thing is essentially a hill. Taking advantage of the aero positions on the downhill stretches should be a bit more beneficial. And of course the additional hand positions should feel better. I would have thought if I could get the top of the drop bars about level with the seat, like my current bike, the ride position may be somewhat close(but stretched) until I get in the drops. Am I wrong with that assumption?