View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 05:16 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I run Kenda K1188 tires on my Bigfoot on the road (Jumbo Jims on the snow)

I bought them only because a local retailer had them for $50 and I wanted to ride the Bigfoot on the roads in the summer and $50/tire was a great value for an experiment compared to the insane cost of the soft winter compound JJs that wouldn't last a month on road

As it turns out the Kendas are awesome for the task. At their max 30 PSI they still have more squish than my roadbike tires and with over 2000 km on them the measured tread wear indicates that I should have another 6000-8000 km out of them. They HOWL at speed so there is no sneaking up on anyone - lol. The fastest I've run them is 70km/h down a sizeable hill on the Cabot Trail. I would have gone faster but I hit the aero limit of my bike - probably just as well as neither the bike nor the tires were designed for that speed on the highway. The HOWL was epic... and the tread squirm was almost as unsettling as the fact that my front skewer came loose. Exciting day!

The local retailer has them on clearance for $40 so I bought more to have a lifetime supply.

Not sure if any of this translates to other Kendas, but in my limited experience of one model on one bike they absolutely exceeded my hopes and expectations. I figured if they lasted more than a month they would be worth it - they last for years with little to no wear and they do everything I ask them to. The only puncture I have had was a nail that almost went through the rim so no fault of the tire... my roadbike would have lost the rim too due to the lower volume.