View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 11:55 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I don't think the problem is in your crankset. It is just that you have e-assist that is adding to the effort you put in. You are running out of gears because is is easier to pedal but there may be a second factor shown below. Note: I am not an expert in this area.
A look at the E-BikeKit website https://www.ebikekit.com/blogs/news/...kit-hub-motors shows two different models. It shows there is a limit to your top speed, as little as 15 mph for the 36V Direct Drive motor. The best you can expect is 28 mph for the 48V geared motor. It doesn't take much for me to reach 28 mph on a downhill stretch. My trike is geared higher than the Villager. It doesn't run out of gears until I reach the low 30 mph range. I would guess that 90+% of my riding is done in the middle chainring 39T and using the 11/36 10 speed rear. While you may be able to change out the largest chainring for one with more teeth, you always need to match the span (largest #T - smallest #T) with a derailleur with the correct span. When you get above 52T, the chainrings get more expensive. My Greenspeed GTO has a single 65 tooth chainring. The replacement costs $180.