View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 10:51 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The RANS Rocket, which had a 20" drive wheel, came standard with a 39/52/62 chainring set. That allowed almost normal gearing. Traditionally, trike riders have always wanted lower gears, even using 22/32/44 mountain chainsets on 20" rear wheels. Of course, the advent of electric assist now means that there's no telling what gearing anyone will want! I'm pretty sure you can swap chainrings around, just make sure that you maintain the correct spacing between them. That means if you move the 52T to the middle you might have to flip it or change spacers. Larger chainring can be found, but only with some effort. AND they can expensive compared to normal sizes. I have a 58T pinned chainring for my Catrike Speed.That's a compromise between what I'd like and having it pinned for better shifting.
https://www.amazon.com/Driveline-AL7...%2C208&sr=8-24
From your reply, can I assume that it's possible to change only one of the three chainrings, and that there's no need to change them as a complete 3-ring set? IOW, I could theoretically change from 30-39-52 to, say, 39-52-62 by keeping the original 39 and 52 and adding a new 62? Not saying that's a good idea in my case necessarily, but is that how it would work? ie - could I re-use 2 out the 3 existing chainrings?

Thanks!