Old 08-09-22, 07:21 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I have done both organized trips and my own self-supported rides. The organized rides are more in areas overseas where I could use help (e.g. TDA across Africa, China) or pick some particular highlights (e.g. Cambodia).

Here is how I see the tradeoffs:
1. That organized Adventure Cycling trip will have a fairly predictable schedule (perhaps a day or two here or there). That means if there is some reason you can't ride - you'll find a way (SAG or otherwise) to keep up. On your own trip, you might more easily wait a day or two, go slower or faster, etc.

2. That organized trip will have more of a constrained "menu" of where you stay, routes you ride, arrangements for food, etc. That can be nice if you like that structure and want to concentrate on riding. It can be frustrating if you like making those arrangements or aren't always happy with choices.

3. On the organized trip you may find others to ride with. You might well find others on your own trip as well since you might leapfrog or encounter others en route.

4. You will want basic bike maintenance/troubleshooting in either case. In the group setting there can be others to problem solve with you on potential issues - along with a higher probability you may help problem solve other issues.

I think the tradeoffs of how you see these sorts of things is more of a personal preference. I enjoy my own company and bias towards my own ride for a trip like this than an organized ride. However, for a long trip or places I would be more isolated (not as fluent in language) I'll do an organized ride too.

Something somewhat in between those two choices is a ride with someone(s) you know very well (I'd almost say blood or family relationship though that is more in spirit). In that case you can keep some of the "work things out as we go along" without as constrained of a menu as well as social aspects with relationship you already have.

Last edited by mev; 08-09-22 at 11:55 PM.