Old 08-16-20, 11:22 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
Any tips/fundamental truths for finding one's preferred gear-inches?

I'm starting to realize that while I can spin 120-135+ (not fast, I know, but relatively fast for me, haha), I'm faster in the 200 in the 115-118 rpm range, so for lack of other influences, I'm starting to focus on gearing that puts me in that cadence range. Then, as I get stronger, instead of spinning faster, I'll increase gear-inches and stay in that general range. I know that cadence is a personal thing---and I'm very inexperienced, so I'm taking any of my own findings/beliefs with a healthy grain of salt.
Not really, I'm still experimenting myself to be honest. This year I'm on 52/13 which may not be huge compared to what some of you are using, but before last season my PB (from nearly 10 years ago) was on 49/14, so that's a significant change. I'd say just keep going up until you go slower? The tipping point seems to be, 'when do I start my jump?' If your gear is so big that you have to start jumping uphill into T1 that's gonna start getting pretty hard, so I'd imagine track length/design will play into this. On a 250 or a 400 (my local track) you may have more room to move your jump point back before needing to accelerate uphill. Experimentation and practice seem to be key; maybe of relatively more importance than being at peak condition? (of course the confluence of both being ideal).

Also, I find standing with a tiny bit of effort on the last downhill (T4->T1 on 333 or 400) before the jump helps me gain/hold speed better with a minimum of effort, but I rarely see others doing this.

Please share what you find!