Old 04-01-21, 01:29 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Looking to add a gravel bike to the stable and I love the Colnago's.
Would a nice circa 2010 Colnago c50 CX compare to a new 2K$ gravel bike like a Canyon ?
Obvious reasons to go new would be disc brakes and wider tire options, believe the c50 limited to 38s.
The carbon c50 frame is very nice vs AL.
TIA for any advice
I haven't ridden the Colo, but I have test ridden an bought that vintage CX, bikes and bought the newer Canyon (carbon).

wide tires with canti's is a PITA. Disk brakes have opened up a lot of tire options. But my having to deflate a tire to take it on and off is no fun.
Hydraulic brakes are very nice, although in most cases I can lock up the canti's. but the modulation of the newer (hydralic) disks is much better.
Any cross bike is going to have a more aggressive fit and handling, if that is your thing. Some like it, others maybe not.
That vintage bike tends to have narrower tire clearance, and tends to ride much stiffer. A modern cross bike or gravel bike has a much more compliant ride and much more tire clearance.

you mention it has clearance for 38s and a very nice ride, so that knocks two of the complaints off the list. Personally, I can have a lot of fun on an old cross bike (provided its not too stiff, and I can fit my tire of choice on it).