View Single Post
Old 02-17-14, 05:47 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
...I was amazed by the inconsiderate riding of so many cyclists. No use of a bell, no shouted warnings, riding side-by-side and swerving at the last moment around walkers, and riding as fast as if they had the path to themselves...
Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo
1. Ringing a bell or otherwise warning someone that I'm coming more often than not results in them panicking and doing everything but what they're supposed to. I keep doing it because I get annoyed when people don't warn me when I'm walking and also because it's in the bylaw.
My experiece with a bell has been very positive, to the point I get a "I like your bell..." kind of comments. I've rarely scared anyone, probably because I ring from quite a ways back and if not response then ring again when closer. "No response" gets a wide berth and sometimes I slow more as I pass them. Just think of the extra training I get as I have to accelerate after slowing down. Not such a bad thing at all.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.