Old 02-03-20, 06:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
MAVIC Ksyrium UST WTS wheelset with other-than-Mavic/Hutchinson tires?

Mavic is making it harder to find excuses for me *not* to try tubeless. The Ksyrium UST WTS wheelset, including a pair of Yksion Pro UST tires, sealant, etc., is selling for around $250 for the set ($112 front, $136 rear).

But considering the price of replacement tires (about $70 each), it sounds like Mavic is using the inkjet printer approach: sell the wheels cheap and make money on the other end with consumables.

By all accounts the tires are very good... while they last. Fast rolling, all the advantages of tubeless, but many users report problems with sidewall bubbling and other failures, presumably due to sealant infiltrating the tires.

That alone wouldn't put me off at least trying them. But I'm wondering whether anyone else has tried that wheelset with other tires -- say, Schwalbe One Pro?

I realize Mavic is trying to make tubeless as user friendly as possible by ensuring a matching wheel/tire that's easy to install, doesn't require a compressor, etc. Just wondering whether the wheels can still be used with other tires.

BTW, this is for a budget build, so I can't justify spending more for tubeless. It's a 2011 Diamondback Podium 5 frame with Ultegra crankset, a gift from a friend. The frame was just a little large for him and might be for me as well, although I have longer legs and arms so while we're the same height I have a bit more reach. I already have wheels but this would be a good opportunity to try tubeless at a price commensurate with a budget build.