Old 01-29-21, 06:51 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
@ linberl Thanks. Weight of your loaded rig(~60+bike) and single speed implies pretty slow travel. Unless you got some legs on you.
With lesser loads and at speeds > 10mph , does it behave? also have you used it with the Pakit which is a 16"er, if I recall?
The lower pressure will slow the response to any input, and it may be that if the center of the load is above about the trailer axle and the distance between the wheels relatively narrow, then you have to lower the pressure to prevent the trailer from jumping up on one side beyond the ability for gravity to drag it back down. The faster and/or harder one rides, the more often the problem will occur.

The higher the mount on the frame, more likely a tip is to occur unless one happens to ride precisely vertical all the time - because every time one leans to the left it will reduce the load on the trailer wheel on the right. If the damping on a seat column is high then it will take longer for a wheel on the trailer to lift and to land, which is good but then very bad if you happen to clip a bump on that side or a pothole one the other. I can see why kiddie trailers mount so on the bike frame.

I get the feeling that rather than compromising on tire pressure a better answer might be to invest in some form of damped independent suspension, keeping the mounting point low, maximising the distance between the wheels and minimising the distance between the axle centreline and the centre of mass (trailer+load).

Of course, I could be completely wrong