View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 08:06 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Don't over think it

I'm 6'3" and have been riding 150 and 152mm cranks on all my bikes, road and mountain, for several years. I did it for knee pain, which it solved, not for any performance reasons.

I did do a lot of research before jumping in, though, and came to the conclusion that there are too many variables to predict what will happen on a particular bike. For instance, the knee-pedal relationship changes, but depends a lot on geometry. But you might not be able to push the saddle back enough to prevent a knees forward of the pedals a la triathlon bikes.

Also, remember that there are a lot of theories about how crank length will change metric x, but the bike is a machine almost purpose built to compensate for changes in leverage. So your real world experience will vary!

My advice is try it. It is not a big investment. I can't speak to US availability and pricing, but Suntour sells the XCT Jr crank at 152mm, and i use this converted to a 1x on my mountain bike. They cost 25 Euro, don't look great, but work fine. Stronglight sells a rebranded and shortened Sugino XD2 called the Impact Kid in a bunch of different lengths for about 50 Euro. These are both shortened versions of adult cranks, so plenty strong, and exactly what you would get using a crank shortening service.

If you like ithe result but want something fancier, the TA Carmina is not so expensive, so far as cranks go these days.