Old 01-31-22, 08:57 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
This might be a 'duh' moment, but I think I've learned indoor and outdoor cycling ain't exactly the same. My wife (who doesn't bike outdoors) and I bought an indoor bike (Bowflex Velocore) about 4-6 weeks ago. I was hoping it would help me stay fit during the colder months. My enthusiasm for biking outdoors in sub-50 degrees has begun to wane. I'll grind through it if necessary, but now that I have an alternative, I've been off the road bike and on the indoor bike.

However, my knees are swelled and sore. I've never had that happen before from doing anything. Got the knees checked today, no injury, but apparently a classic case of overuse in a new activity that I mistook for an indoor version of the old activity. My road bike endurance conspired against me, making it easy for me to pedal for a long time, but against greater/non-stop resistance that my knees couldn't tolerate. Doctor says it won't hurt them to continue riding indoors or out, but that I need to take it down a notch until my knees catch up.

Anyone have any other insights on this issue, or thoughts on indoor bikes in general?

(edit to note - I'm 58, so I might've been fine doing this 20 years ago)

Had a similiar situation happen to me. Bought a wahoo kickr back in October, and was in a situation where I was having to use that more and more instead of riding out side. I put a bike on it that I have done a number of centuries on and sure enough within the first week the pain in my left knee was unbearable. Felt like it was popping and or tearing. Went to a sports doctor and got x-rays done, nothing showed up, and was diagnosed with runners knee. Told to rest and avoid the trainer.

I ride outside now unless I absolutely have to get on the trainer, and when I do use the trainer I keep it strictly zone 2. Even today using the trainer a couple times a month my knee will start to flare up while i’m on it.