Thread: Okay, I am nuts
View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 03:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4833 Post(s)
Liked 3,953 Times in 2,571 Posts
Sadly, my workhorse floor pump is a specialized. Got it a few weeks before I read about that company's ethics. Have a Medai from the mid '80s but the chuck was such a hassle for this guy who's been using the oh-so-easy Zephal HP,now HPX for 50 years. Never fell in love with the Medai. The soul-less Specialized is a very good, very easy to use pump.

I didn't know about the Hiro chucks until just now. Maybe it's time.

But first I need to continue the work on a easy to make and bullet/fool proof "Damsel in Distress" adapter. (My knowledge of the adopter and its name go back to 1977 when Sheldon Brown used to come to our shop near closing to hand with our mechanic. The adopters were so we could assist other riders with flats in a world where bike racers rode presta and all the rest of the cycling world was Schraeder. We carried them in the hope that we could assist a young lady.) My floor pump also gets used to pump up the wheelbarrow tire and on rare occasions, a car tire. So with Silca, that adopter would be needed. And I want to start carrying them in all my tool bags simply because taking pumps apart to flip the gasket to Schraeder and back involves small parts that crave the return to the wild.

Sadly the construction of those DID adopters was lost to me after my head injury a month after I left that shop. If anyone knows how to make them, preferably with easy to get parts, please let me know! (They consist of a presta inner tube valve permanently mated to a brass presta to Shraeder adopter. Screw the adopter to the tire valve to be inflated. Slide your presta pump chuck over the adopter's valve. Pump as usual. That mating was one piece and simple. What was it? My current has a piece of plastic chemset hose. Works but bigger, clumsier, more space in the toolbag, harder to make and not as trustworthy. I wish Sheldon was still here. He'd remember and get a kick out of being reminded of the name.

Time to go to the shop, stick on a couple of tubbies to brand new wheels, inflate! and tool around the block and get them good and stuck. Modern Vittoria tires but a ritual as C & V as you can get. (And the tires - totally modern materials but ancient construction techniques.)