3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26428 Post(s)
Liked 10,387 Times in 7,213 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Wouldn't sanding it down be horribly uneven? I can just see the post slipping at certain points and sticking at others. If you're a machinist with a lathe, sure, but I can't imagine something more crude doing anything more than causing headaches.
...it seems to work out OK. This is actually my objection to using some kind of cylinder hone inside the seat tube, instead of a proper reamer, which gives much more control and a more accurate interior in the frame tube when used. The problem with an older frame, where you know little of the history, is that sometimes some prior owner has used a slightly smaller post in it, and made it work by overtightening the clamp/lug. Which ovalizes the lug and makes it pretty impossible to remedy without a proper reamer.

A cylinder hone won't fix that, no matter how you use it.

So sometimes that turns out to be the explanation for why you find a 27.0 post in a frame that might have been originally made with a 27.2 post fitted to it. But not always, there are lots of reasons when a bike frame has a history, and most of it is mysterious to you.