Old 12-23-21, 10:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I fly a lot with bikes internationally and domestically packing and unpacking using hard cases not Scicon. Although, they are a pain in the ass to take apart, protect, pack and reassemble, I have not had any damage / scratches.

I watched the Scicon video and I like the way it packs a lot. I now have Scicon envy.

I put more foam padding on my frame than it probably needs in the cases that I use. I assume the when US TSA opens the case and begins to inspect the contents, they will get it wrong when the “repack” and close the case. The Scicon case looks like TSA should have an easy time to open and inspect.

In my latest trip to Europe in October, one of the women on our bike tour had Delta Airlines run over her bike hard case when it fell off the luggage trailer on its way from the terminal to the plane. The bike was destroyed.

No amount of packing would have saved her bike. IMO, the derailleur hanger and alignment is the most vulnerable part. I carry a spare hanger.

Also, I think that the harder the case, the more abuse the the airlines give to the case. I think they treat softer cases more gently. Of course, that is not always the case.

Great case and have a wonderful time traveling with your bike.

Last edited by Hermes; 12-23-21 at 01:46 PM.