Thread: Titanium Bikes
View Single Post
Old 09-29-20, 09:44 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike
The R3 is my only bike and I am looking for another bike because I want to have a backup or if I feel like riding a different bike that day.

Appreciate all the feedbacks!
And thus starts the first step towards a fleet of bikes. Personally I prefer one for each type of riding first then moving on to two of each but you do you, either way welcome to slippery slope.
Unfortunately I can't give you a true comparison since I haven't owned them simultaneously. I picked my Litespeed Classic after doing 35mi test rides and swapping the wheels between bikes all of which were equipped with ultegra. It was a Trek 2300, 5500, and a steel Moser all of which were the same size. In the end I bought the Litespeed, it was just so impressive compared to the others. College, wedding and finances forced a sale of it but it was the choice of the three. Currently have a carbon and really like it but I'd replace it with a really nice Ti no problem, almost did and walked into a shop with a nos Moots that had been sitting for over a year with cash but it sold the day earlier. But I haven't done a recent similar comparison.

Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
If you forced me to pick between the two, I'd give the nod to the R3. If I ever crash the R3 and break the frame I don't think I would replace it and would be happy to have my Litespeed as my "forever bike." That's actually one of the selling points I used to convince my wife to let me get the bike 21 years ago. "...but honey it will be the last bike I'll ever have to buy. It's made of titanium! It will outlast me!"
Pff, you need to convince her that bikes are only meant to be used 10 years before being relegated to loaners, lazy day riders, and future hand me downs; and then take your time handing them down. Just convinced my wife that she needs a new bike for next year as her current one is going to be 13 years old and a newer one will be better (I do believe this) and honestly its nice to have a new bike every decade.