View Single Post
Old 06-15-22, 10:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
The problem with suggesting a saddle is I know nothing about you, or your riding. I can only tell you what works for me, and that is useless to you unless you're similar to me.

SO - I am pretty much inflexible - can't reach beyond mid-calf when trying to touch my toes. This means that I roll my pelvis forward, and keep a straight back, rather than bending at the waist and curving my back. This means I benefit from a "Wave" saddle, that's lower in the middle than at the ends.

I also run a saddle-to-bar drop of 7.5-11 cm, depending on the bike, and I like to use the drops a fair amount because my usual route sometimes means 6 miles riding into a stiff headwind. This means I need a saddle with a 'relief channel', AND one that's flat across the back, rather than curved, because that curve puts pressure where I don't want it.

I also have Thunder Thighs, but I do best with low Q-factor, meaning my legs don't splay around the saddle. This means I need a saddle with a narrow nose.

For me, the best saddle I've found is the Avocet O2 Air 40R. Unfortunately, these have been out of production for 20 years. Fortunately, I bought a stash. Unfortunately, that stash is depleted. SO I tried some other saddles, based on the above parameters, and found the Fizik Aliante VSX. Not as comfy as my beloved Avocet, but still good for > 50 miles with no pain, chafing, or numbness. Unfortunately, I found out it, too, is out of production.

So, that's my recommendation, if you're like me - two saddles nobody makes anymore. You have to get them NOS or used off of Ebay or similar. But if you're not like me, then you don't want either of them.

There, I imagine this has been perfectly useless.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: