View Single Post
Old 08-06-22, 10:39 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I just looked up SPD, sounds terrible, sorry for your troubles but in this context I see where you are going. Would you generally agree with the results of that report? I would as my arthritis would confirm their results. Too bad they did not do Ti as I have found while very similar to a well made steel frame there is a very slight difference I prefer, can't really put my finger on it but it is more of a frequency change or something similar that the difference between a well made carbon or aluminum frame.
It has been bad in many ways and has changed a lot over time. What I get from the report is that certain frequencies were being detected more intensely on the aluminum frame. I don't know that these are the frequencies or vibrations that I found unpleasant. The shock from a polyurethane bump on a treadmill vs the various road surfaces and textures will be different but it does show that the aluminum frame bicycle tested carried a more intense shock or impulse to the accelerometer, at certain frequencies, compared to the other frames tested. I agree with that based on what I have experienced. I really feel its something in the resonance of the frame more than just needing softer tires, the aluminum bicycles I had issues with had 38mm and 49mm wide tires. My steel bikes where I don't have the issues have 25 and 28, and 38mm wide tires. I too have arthritis and some other issues from injuries and surgeries. The aluminum bikes I had were unpleasant and exhausting, no matter what changes I made I could not ride them comfortably. Again, this is just my observations as they apply to myself.

I've never ridden a titanium or carbon fiber bike. They may be great, I don't know.