View Single Post
Old 02-28-23, 09:40 PM
Neil G.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Distressing. Got my first set in 2007, and have been using them ever since (for touring, plus everything else). Several years ago, after bicyclerollingresistance.com showed the Almotion to be even faster, my wife (who needs to eke out every bit of efficiency to help our combined speed) got a set of those, but experience showed that in practice they were still inferior to the Supremes. I suddenly started catching her on every hill we'd coast down, and once we switched her back to the Supremes we got right back to the same speed. Perhaps that was due to the greater width (and consequently, weight) of the Almotions (700x38C vs the 700x35C Supremes), but given that the Almotions don't come in any narrower widths, that still makes them a slower tire. And now the Efficiencies also come in nothing narrower than a 700x38C, so they can hardly be called a proper replacement for the Supremes either. I know Schwalbe is all about "wider is actually better!", and they're probably right, but I'm an old man stuck in my ways, dammit!

Over a year ago when it already seemed like the Supremes were on their way out, we ordered a couple of 700x35Cs through Amazon (the only place that listed them) to be sent to us on the road, but they ended up being even-narrower 700x32Cs. Still put 'em to use on our front wheels though (and noticed no negative result), and then I carried around our two partly-worn 700x35Cs for at least 1000 miles (still have one of them!) to make them last as long as possible. I have a problem!

Last edited by Neil G.; 02-28-23 at 10:04 PM.