Old 06-06-23, 09:08 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I was thinking more of the affect time v intensity has on shorter, but very hard rides, like sub 2 hours. The interesting thing for me this year is that reducing volume / increasing intensity has actually improved my Zwift racing (higher FTP and VO2 max), but definitely taken the edge off my endurance over 4+ hour hilly rides (more drop off in endurance power >2-3 hours). When I was doing 10+ hour weeks I had better endurance, but was less punchy. Now I'm wondering if I can increase volume at low intensity to regain my endurance without losing power gained at threshold and above. I think it might work if I'm strict with the low intensity and don't cause too much additional fatigue.
I did the same as you over the winter - lower volume with higher intensity.

Found improvements on both short punchy rides and endurance rides. And I have a higher tolerance for short hits above threshold on long rides...

I am increasing my volume to get ready for some century rides, mostly at Z2 level of effort. But I will throw in some intense sessions once a week or so - either a hard Z3 ride, or some lightly structured VO2/FTP interval sessions.
Likes For Jughed: