Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I was thinking more of the affect time v intensity has on shorter, but very hard rides, like sub 2 hours. The interesting thing for me this year is that reducing volume / increasing intensity has actually improved my Zwift racing (higher FTP and VO2 max), but definitely taken the edge off my endurance over 4+ hour hilly rides (more drop off in endurance power >2-3 hours). When I was doing 10+ hour weeks I had better endurance, but was less punchy. Now I'm wondering if I can increase volume at low intensity to regain my endurance without losing power gained at threshold and above. I think it might work if I'm strict with the low intensity and don't cause too much additional fatigue.
Rumor has it that the way you get stronger on long rides is to do more long rides. This is a PBP year so most clubs are probably finished with their SR series now, too late to participate. Some folks ride a 200k every weekend year 'round, at least on decent days. I don't think that's quite necessary. 100k or 4 hours or so every weekend, ridden at one's limit, seems to do it just as well. I did that chasing faster riders, which kept my throttle open. It's tough to do that solo. Fatigue is the point. Quoting myself, "If you can walk at the finish, you could have gone harder." One builds endurance by enduring. This is the reason that randonneuring is referred to as the "dark side." OTOH, maybe you're not THAT interested in building endurance. More Z2 doesn't do it unless one is going to ride those long rides in Z2. You get what you pay for.

I don't remember if you strength train. Being able to squat at least bodyweight for 10 reps is helpful. One of the better RAAM riders could leg sled 450 lbs. for 50 reps, sorry I don't remember the name. Back in my 60s when I was strong, my sled 1RM was 700 at 145 bodyweight.