View Single Post
Old 06-06-23, 01:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Rumor has it that the way you get stronger on long rides is to do more long rides. This is a PBP year so most clubs are probably finished with their SR series now, too late to participate. Some folks ride a 200k every weekend year 'round, at least on decent days. I don't think that's quite necessary. 100k or 4 hours or so every weekend, ridden at one's limit, seems to do it just as well. I did that chasing faster riders, which kept my throttle open. It's tough to do that solo. Fatigue is the point. Quoting myself, "If you can walk at the finish, you could have gone harder." One builds endurance by enduring. This is the reason that randonneuring is referred to as the "dark side." OTOH, maybe you're not THAT interested in building endurance. More Z2 doesn't do it unless one is going to ride those long rides in Z2. You get what you pay for.

I don't remember if you strength train. Being able to squat at least bodyweight for 10 reps is helpful. One of the better RAAM riders could leg sled 450 lbs. for 50 reps, sorry I don't remember the name. Back in my 60s when I was strong, my sled 1RM was 700 at 145 bodyweight.
I'm not interested in endurance beyond 100 miles, but I do want to be fast over that distance. In previous years I did plenty of 4,5,6 hour training rides to build endurance and it worked well. This year I tried a different approach with few training rides beyond 2 hours. The surprise was not loss of endurance, but solid gains in FTP and VO2 max. So now I'm trying to work out a way of combining the two! I don't think riding at my limit for 4 hours on a weekly basis is going to work for me within a polarised plan.