View Single Post
Old 07-14-23, 12:19 PM
Al Bundy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have similar curiosity about the training needs for something like a one day STP - 10+ hours, (not racing others, but as an achievement for personal satisfaction). So rather than start a new thread can we continue this conversation here..?
10 years ago I was doing multiple century rides the Deathride being the toughest. However, the day job got busier and came to dominate my existence as cycling & fitness took a back seat. I am recently retired so have time for ~10 hours per week, maybe more. I'd like to get back to riding centurys with some climbing and maybe some doubles. I have a smart trainer and am able to be consistent. So an alternative new thread title might be `Fat & weak and nearly 60'.

I have ~ a year. I *think* that my `event specific need' is for a high FTP and W/Kg (working on the Kg bit...), but more importantly, a high LT1 threshold and so I wonder if there much to be gained by efforts over threshold. Excepting for perhaps a few weeks of high intensity just before the main event, are intervals over FTP are even necessary? The whole "push up from below' versus "pull up from above" is often discussed but I have yet to see anything definitive for those who don't appear to need to train VO2 max for racing.
Circa 10 years ago, FTP was about 240. I have just started a diet of 6 hours of Z2 per week and will continue on this until I can do an hour with <5bpm heart rate drift. My plan is to continue with 4 days/hours a week of Z2 and add a longer Z2 ride in once per week and then start adding Z3. Then retest, reset numbers and continue...

All advice and input gratefully considered.