Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Bundy
I have similar curiosity about the training needs for something like a one day STP - 10+ hours, (not racing others, but as an achievement for personal satisfaction). So rather than start a new thread can we continue this conversation here..?
10 years ago I was doing multiple century rides the Deathride being the toughest. However, the day job got busier and came to dominate my existence as cycling & fitness took a back seat. I am recently retired so have time for ~10 hours per week, maybe more. I'd like to get back to riding centurys with some climbing and maybe some doubles. I have a smart trainer and am able to be consistent. So an alternative new thread title might be `Fat & weak and nearly 60'.

I have ~ a year. I *think* that my `event specific need' is for a high FTP and W/Kg (working on the Kg bit...), but more importantly, a high LT1 threshold and so I wonder if there much to be gained by efforts over threshold. Excepting for perhaps a few weeks of high intensity just before the main event, are intervals over FTP are even necessary? The whole "push up from below' versus "pull up from above" is often discussed but I have yet to see anything definitive for those who don't appear to need to train VO2 max for racing.
Circa 10 years ago, FTP was about 240. I have just started a diet of 6 hours of Z2 per week and will continue on this until I can do an hour with <5bpm heart rate drift. My plan is to continue with 4 days/hours a week of Z2 and add a longer Z2 ride in once per week and then start adding Z3. Then retest, reset numbers and continue...

All advice and input gratefully considered.
I've only done the one-day, many times, mostly on my single. I can't really recommend the 2-day. I assume that you're considering the one-day. My best elapsed time was in my late 50s, a hair under 12 hrs. elapsed, 10 hrs. saddle time. I was in the first 100. Unfortunately that was so long ago that my electronic records are gone. We've done it twice on our tandem in our late 60s, about 12.5 hrs. saddle time. We aren't a strong team, we just keep riding.

Back then, there was no FTP, only LT. My LT at the time of those tandem rides was probably 152-154. My max STP HR was 143, average 120. Which doesn't mean much of anything. To prep, I'd concentrate on hilly rides, 50'-70' per mile. Once the snow melts, do some pass rides, like Cle Elum-Leavenworth over Old Blewett, Chinook-Sunrise from the Deli stop or Packwood-Paradise. I don't think over-threshold intervals are particularly necessary, but long rides done as hard as you can, absolutely.

Program sounds good until next spring, when you should get out there and start doing long road rides. 4-6 hours is good, once a week, as hard as you can, both weekend days if you can, Saturday more Z3, Sunday go hard, during the week mostly Z2. Trainer intervals don't do the same thing. Main thing is to learn to pace, fuel, and hydrate.

Use power to set a steady pace, but HR to monitor physical deterioration. I know people who overcook just using power. Of course the more complicated thing is that you'll have at least 6000 fellow travelers when you set out. I would always go hard as I reasonably could for the first maybe 20 miles and try to get ahead of the idiots. Everything will get lots better after Centralia, but up to then it can be a circus. I remember one time maybe 30 miles into it when there was an uncontrolled stop sign. I dropped way back, waited until the harsh metallic sounds had stopped and then rode around the mess. Happens.

I'd grab a train if one went by me, try to stay near the front, help pull, safer up there. I'm kinda small, so I'd look for a guy the size of a refrigerator, try to hold his wheel. I was always strongest after the bridge, finally heading east to Portland. I knew I could pick up the pace then, wasn't that tired. My practice was to stop every 50 miles and make sure I peed, no pee, more water. If it was hot, I used a 2 liter Camelbak and a bottle. I used plain water and Endurolytes for hydration.