Thread: A terrible loss
View Single Post
Old 09-23-21, 07:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Regarding the incident, the riders were traveling west in the morning on a group ride. The sun was behind them and not a factor in the crash.

First of all, I am very sorry for your tragic loss. None of my quarrels with people on this thread have been aimed at you or anything your family member did or did not do. My arguments have been with people who try to use a tragedy like this for rhetorical purposes, claiming it illustrates whatever their pet peeve or agenda happens to be. They may or may not be well-intentioned, but I think such tragedies are used by people to cloak their very questionable assertions in some sort of "cloak of immunity," using it to label the person questioning it "anti-cyclist" or a "driver apologist" or "insensitive". Let me be very clear, I am not accusing you of having done that, quite the contrary, I think your thread and your posts have been extremely appropriate. It's important to remind everyone that the victims of these crashes have families who suffer as well.

Among the people who I have a major disagreement with is the Mr. Ligon quoted in the article you posted. I find the message that cyclists should "only" ride in the early morning deeply anti-cyclist, implying that it is our job to ride only when it is convenient for drivers to avoid hitting us, and making it clear that cyclists on the road should be an exceptional, not a routine, event. I don't know Mr. Ligon, I have no idea what his intentions were, but I'm sorry he would use your family's tragedy to spread such a message. If anything, it might imply that Clint somehow bore some responsibility for his own death, a message I would find extremely offensive were it my family member.