View Single Post
Old 08-22-22, 10:27 AM
3d1l

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace
Hi, I am the person who posted the videos at the beginning of this thread on YouTube. The secret of these bikes is their low-pressure tyres and when ridden out of the saddle the bicycle rotates over obstacles whilst the riders body does not.
Hey hi!, thanks for posting those videos. But it seems that he is very well seated when going over the mud and trough the creek.

This is the same technique that BMX rider's use, so these bikes are basically large wheeled BMX bikes. However, ridding out of the saddle for long periods can be tiring and so nowadays long-travel sprung seat-posts like the Thudbuster, provide better shock absorption whilst seated. I personally like to attach these suspension mechanisms to dropper posts.

To achieve the upright riding position you need a frame with a shorter distance between the saddle and the handlebars than a standard mountain-bike. An easy way to to do this is to choose a small frame size and then use a longer seat-post, longer upright stem or a BMX stem and riser bars.
I'm getting the idea and it seems to be a valid alternative to what I was thinking. You are basically describing what other member of the forum described in the other thread. Check it here. I was considering a Jones h-bar bend handlebar with an adjustable stem. I want to keep the elbows closer to my body:

What you are describing is something like this:

Photo obtained from the other thread

Asking everybody, What alternative you consider the best for the style of riding that I described at the beginning?

Geoff Apps is alive and well and his "Cleland Cycles" site can be found online.
His 'site' includes a page on spinal health.
Good to know, thanks for the info.