View Single Post
Old 11-21-22, 02:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I disagree that ski impacts are less than cycling. Also - I ride down well below -20C, down into the ranges where C and F are pretty much the same. Wearing enough to be warm underneath a helmet just isn't comfortable, and probably not effective at all in a crash (yes, I use a helmet cover in the shoulder seasons). I wear a poly balaclava, but before I got the Bollé ski helmet I'd sometimes go without the bike helmet to wear a second balaclava and touque to be warm enough.

I really think that something like Ski helmets are a great solution - as other people mentioned, winter biking specific helmets have been few and far between, and typically expensive. Ski helmets, at least here, are readily available.
What are you disagreeing with? I made no statements on whose impacts are more or less I stated they are potentially different and potentially the same. I was sort of neutral on the damage because I don't know, I have skied once and while to some that would qualify them as an expert to me I still know almost nothing and all I can remember is my butt hurt more than anything and doing a 30 mile ride the next day was excruciating...LOL

In terms of that cold yeah probably a warmer helmet would help quite a bit. I love biking but I personally have my limits but really cool that you are going out in that but I don't think I could do it. Once it goes to negatives I am inside with some mulled cider and a good movie. Now I guess if I had a fat bike and a place to use it, it might slightly change my tune a little maybe? But I really don't like it that cold.