View Single Post
Old 02-10-20, 02:41 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Guys, I'm going to cool my heels a bit on buying a new touring bike until I can try out some different bikes, and for now just set up my 2017 Trek Marlin 5 29er for touring. I would really appreciate some recommendations for a front rack that clamps on my suspension fork. I saw one somewhere that allows the suspension to be unlocked but can't find it now.

I would also like some recommendations for tires that will have less rolling resistance on the pavement. The stock tires are 2" wide on rear and 2.2" wide on the front. I would like to go as narrow and road oriented as possible on a new set. I like to so some gravel roads too so something that would excel at both would be great.

I would also like suggestions as to anything in the bearings or such that would need to be upgraded to insure reliability on long trips. I don't know much about this stuff so I wonder if my bottom bracket and such is up to par for a longer trip.

I ride the bike every day right now and haven't had any issues in a long time. Don't know exactly but I've put several hundred miles on it. I recently had a new cassette and chain and cables installed.
If you have skinny tires for the road why would you want or need a sus fork? Try some bigger slick/race tires, say2-2.2 or so. Air down if needed for off road, ditch the sus fork. I run 3" tires on my krampus, no sus fork for singletrack or dirt.