Old 07-31-23, 05:48 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 203 Posts
It's always sobering when you hear about a fellow cyclist being hit and killed. I have no idea why this happened. Maybe gross negligence by the driver, such as texting etc. But, it's possible it was just plain human error.

About 35 years ago, I remember a road trip in a car, where i started before dawn. I was on an interstate. Up ahead I saw the taillights of two cars. Probably the better part of a mile ahead. Suddenly the taillights from those two cars, a mile away, became the two taillights of a truck about 100 feet away. While I was overtaking, noting bad happened. But the point is sometimes out brains just do a really bad job of making sense of the situation.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for the driver in this case, because I know NOTHING about the circumstances. I just point this out that even a driver doing their best can still make an honest mistake about the situation.

In the end, of course the driver has the responsibility of not running someone over. Maybe they were doing something stupid like texting and driving, and should be drawn and quartered. Then again, maybe they just made a human error. Or for all we know, maybe the bike rider did something stupid, like suddenly pullling out into a traffic lane.

Brain farts go both ways.