Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Some of the bike boom brands that have little value are actually every bit as nice as their better known contemporaries. I realize Takara was best known for gas pipe entry level bikes but they did market some very nice mid level models as well. I'm always keeping an eye open for one of their top of the line road models to go with my '86 Highlander MTB. As far as collector value mine has zero value but with a Tange Cro-Moly frame and fork and full Suntour XC Sport components it's a damn nice bike just the same and one of my favorites. I don't know which Takara you have but if you like it and want fenders on it go for it.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Takaras. And both of them I have more money in than I could likely ever sell them for but who sells bikes anyway? They are indeed well built bikes, bullet proof as all get out. I have two, a 1980 950 Deluxe 12 and a 1981 970 Grand Touring. In high school, I had a 1981 960 Deluxe Touring. I'm still looking for a 960 and I would love to find a nice Takara Competition or Takara Professional. I've came across a couple of 960s but not in the condition I want to mess with. My Grand Touring would look good with fenders and they certainly would be useful, but I just haven't found what I want.

And in the spirit of gratuitous pictures, here is my 970, pardon the dirty skin wall tires, this is a great rain bike so the tires are a bear to keep clean.

Likes For Chuck M: