• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I'm sure...
But I don;t think it's a thing for riders... Anecdotally, I think the risk of dehydration is massively greater for riders.
some reading seems to point to Military training, 'hazing' as areas of hyper hydration...
"Hyponatraemia of exercise has generally been considered a rare event in endurance sports. However, the morbidity and mortality from this condition has been well reported in the medical literature. Too much of a good thing? - PMC - NCBI https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC187207"
and
"Hyponatremic encepthalopathy (hyponatremia) or "water intoxication," a swelling of the brain due blood sodium concentrations falling to an abnormally low level (a.k.a., lack of salt in the blood), is caused by excess fluid intake. "To date at least seven fatalities and more than 250 cases of this condition have been described in the medical literature," said Noakes, of the University of South Africa, in Cape Town.

I'm not worried... heading out to test my understanding...
Ride On
Yuri
Yeah, you're definitely right that the risk of dehydration is far greater, especially since every athlete who finishes a major endurance event is dehydrated. I, personally know only of runners who have experienced this, but cyclists could certainly do it if they set their minds to it.

My first and most memorable case was a young man who was institutionalized at the time for morbidly severe OCD and drank water obsessively. The staff stopped watching him carefully enough and he ended up in the ICU with me, a second or third year resident, as his neurologist. I think he survived, despite that.
Likes For MoAlpha: