Old 06-07-23, 10:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimmerMike
I can see this being very iterative. I think I can come up with a target of how far to move the levers in. But you don't really know if it comfortable until the levers are on and a few rides happen. Since her 11 speed bike has comfortable levers, I should be able to get a reasonable target for this (but I can also see handlebar shape, etc. will impact the results).
I figure it should be simple geometry. If you use the two contact points of the lever body as your reference, the distance to the hook of the brake lever will be some multiple of their spacing. For example, the contact points on this lever are about 1.25" apart. And the hook of the lever is 4.5" from the upper contact point, so it's a 3.6x multiple. So (forgive me for switching to whatever units are most convenient) if you were to sand 1mm off the bottom contact point, that should bring the hook of the lever in by 3.6mm:

Of course, imprecision happens in real life and my assumptions may not be completely valid, so it's always good to do a little at a time and check how it's turning out.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: