Thread: Why drop bars?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-23, 09:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Huge fan of drop bars here, Never got tired of them and I've been on them for 50 years and 200k miles. Yes, issues have come up.. I take the bars I ride very seriously. Dimensions, shape, placement and rotation. I've had injuries come up and needed to make adjustments. But the love never faded. Every headwind, any time I get to feeling enough oats to go somewhere close to 20 mph. Down fun hills. ANd uphill. The hoods and classic stand. Pushing back and power on the tops. Standing on the drops to be as small as possible while I grunt up that steep one into a headwind.

And I never feel I have "wings" out there that might snag something or get bumped by someone else.

Now the drop bars I've come to love look nothing like most modern bars. I don't see how I could be comfortable on bars say like those drop bars in post #42. I'm guessing that if that is what I had to start with, I might fallen out of love a while ago. But my hands still love some of the bars from Italy and Japan of the '70s and '80s. Japan made so many of those as stock bars for common bikes that I'll probably be set for life.