TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer3287
Tried the "30 Second Efforts" in the workout recipe book. Awful! Felt like I was hanging off the edge, going to hurl during the rest intervals between numbers 7-9. Had a very "wet" burp after the last effort. Obviously it's something I need to work on if it taxed my system that much, but it was definitely more unpleasant than my usual WRIs. Just managed 78 TSS, but had 102% W' expended. Didn't really feel like adding in more Z2 time so I just rode home. In-person job interview at 2pm and a Skype interview at 11pm, so I'm a bit distracted today.

Since I managed all 10, does that mean I should push it out to 45" per interval, or stick with the 30" for a while until I finish without wanting to lie down and die afterward?
are those like 30sec on 30sec off?

There are a few varieties i do of these sorts of things and they all hurt in their own ways. The ones that feel the worst are 15/15's. Break em into sets of like 5-8min depending on your fitness and try not to die. The first set feels bad, the second set feels awful, the third set you get through because you're stubborn. If you can do more than that you are cut from a more stoic cloth than I am and I applaud the amount of self hatred you carry within.

I also do 3x12 40/20 which feel bad in their own way but it's slightly less bad because you can't manage the same type of power for the on part as the 15/15.

There's another protocol for 30/30 that sandwiches tempo between some efforts and has standalone 30sec AWC stuff for others, and has it all sandwiched between vo2 work, and that probably hurts the least of these types of things even though it puts out the highest normalized power.